Happy belated Easter!
This year, I actually celebrated with ham and I am so happy because it reminded me of home. Friends are the best, aren’t they? My boyfriend’s dad also joined us this year, so it was a real treat.
My friend Melisa brought up the Easter brunch idea last week because she really wanted ham. Of course, I fully supported it and we planned a menu. I use the word “plan” loosely since we just sent each other emails of what we wanted to eat and never decided on a menu. We ended up winging it and just made sure we didn’t make the same thing.
For the first half of the day, we went hiking at the Topanga State Park and hiked to Eagle Rock and Musch Trail. It was so nice to see so much green in Los Angeles! It was a nice walk up to Eagle Rock and the picture below doesn’t show the peak. I just wanted to take a dramatic picture of my boyfriend climbing up it.
When we got home, it felt like an episode of Chopped/Iron Chef where I had to quickly make all the food for Easter. I wanted to have a cute Easter dress but ended up cooking, and eating, in my hiking outfit since I felt bad making everyone wait any longer.
Melisa glazed a legit ham (bone-in) and made a batch of the most delicious Pan-Fried Onion Dip from Ina Garten. She served it with vegetables like radish, endive, and bell peppers and it was SO GOOD! She also brought roasted carrots with dill, which were buttery and delightful. She is the cutest and came in with her Easter dress and daffodils.
My half were mostly side dishes since she was taking care of the main meat. The Sausage Roll ended up being the most raved about since they were delightful, meaty, bite sized snack. We couldn’t stop! We didn’t even get a picture of (it was in the center of the plate on the right but…I ate it).
- Appetizer: Fennel Pork Roll
- I doubled the pork and made patties for future breakfasts! I also only put mustard on one roll and put sesame on the other ones (to differentiate) for mustard haters. Apparently it doesn’t matter because they loved both!
- Appetizer: Deviled Eggs
- I wanted to make Serious Eat’s Great Deviled Eggs but ran out of time and just mashed the yolks with homemade mayonnaise and green onions.
- Smitten Kitchen – Martha’s Macaroni and Cheese
- I topped it with squares of American cheese since that’s how my boyfriend’s dad’s mom used to make it and I wanted to recreate it for him! Also, I did not want to buy a loaf of white bread.
- Roasted Asparagus
- Lemonade’s Curried Cauliflower with Almonds
- I bought the Lemonade cookbook in hopes of creating their salads when I need inspiration for more vegetables. I made the Curried Cauliflower specifically since it’s Melisa’s favorite. I forgot raisins though, so it was just cauliflower and almonds – it was delicious!
I also just want to explain the “May’s Munchies” posts popping up. It’s basically a daily food diary I’ve started but what you eat is influenced by what’s happening around you so it’s more personal than what I want to share and what I think you want to know. I am, however, sharing it with my family and for them to access it in my blog, I applied the password protection. I do enjoy reading food diaries so maybe one day I’ll be comfortable enough to share my own entries.